PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Special Delivery!

Most twins are delivered between 34 and 36 weeks. Not mine. We were among the rare few that make it full term. At the time I thought it was awful. I was so ready to be done with the discomfort, and so ready and excited to meet my little miracles! I was scheduled to be induced the day I turned 38 weeks. It was a beautiful Saturday morning in sunny California. My parents had arrived late Friday night, so we didn't get much sleep the night before. Not that anyone could sleep well the night before having two babies anyway!

We woke up, ate a light breakfast, loaded the car seats and bags into our van and drove the hour north to the hospital. I got settled and they started me on pitocin. Within 30 minutes the anesthesiologist was there to give me my epidural. (I think I would have opted for one anyway, but since the chance of an emergency C-section with twins is so high, they very highly recommend getting one.) I was dreading the epidural, but it really wasn't bad. The IV in my arm hurt worse. We sat in the labor/delivery room, playing Bejeweled Blitz and Monster Run on the iPad, and I even read a little Harry Potter while we waited for me to progress. My parents came and visited for a few minutes before going to get some dinner and watch a movie while they waited. Around 6 PM I started progressing more quickly, so the nurse suggested that Forrest go get some dinner before it was go time. When he left at 6 I was dilated to a 6. A few minutes after he left, I started vomiting, so the nurse came and checked me. It was 6:10 and I was suddenly dilated to a 10. So I hurried and called Forrest and frantically told him to come back! I called my parents and told them it was time, so they ditched their dinner and rushed back to the hospital too. While I was calling family, my nurse called my doctor.

Forrest got back right in time. As soon as he arrived, they rushed me into the OR. (Even though the plan was to deliver vaginally, they always deliver twins in the OR just in case they need to do an emergency C-section.) This is where it got a bit crazy. My doctor met us in the hall, and she was accompanied by two other doctors. Once we got settled into the room, the anesthesiologist stepped in (just in case we needed him). My nurse was by my left side, and Forrest was by my right. Then there were two nurses ready to take each baby. As soon as they got my bed in place, one of the doctors started an ultrasound to monitor the babies as they were delivered. The anesthesiologist stood above my head observing the chaos. After pushing through a few contractions, it was suddenly shift change for the nurses. At that point, I think there were 16 people in the room. Like I said, it was a bit crazy. During the shift change, Charlie was born. He was head down, right in place so he was delivered without too much effort. Plus he was tiny, only 5 lbs 10 oz. Caroline had been transverse above Charlie (meaning she was sideways, not head up or head down), so the hope was that she would turn head down and be able to be delivered normally as well. Unfortunately, as the doctor saw on the ultrasound, she put her feel right down and turned breech. So instead of having me try and push her out, one of the doctors reached up, grabbed her feet, and pulled her out. There were a few scary moments when he was trying to maneuver her shoulders out. Six minutes after Charlie was born, Caroline came out purple, not breathing and with the cord wrapped tightly around her neck. I couldn't see her, but the doctor looked at me and told me she would need to be rushed to the NICU because she had undergone so much trauma during the delivery. My heart was pounding about a million miles a minute. Within 30 seconds, though, they had unwrapped the cord and she let out a very healthy little cry. So no need for the NICU. Thank goodness! We were so relieved. We were also a bit surprised to learn that she weighed 7 lbs 1 oz, meaning that I had nearly 13 lbs of baby inside of me. But all the discomfort was immediately forgotten when I got to hold my beautiful children for the first time. 

My poor parents. They hadn't heard anything from the time I called them until Forrest went walking proudly into the nursery with his two beautiful little babies. It had been over an hour, and my mom was beside herself with worry that something had gone wrong. They were so relieved when I called them to tell them that I was ok and that I'd been able to deliver them both vaginally. So was I! (I was - and still am - terrified at the thought of a C-section.) Honestly, I think the delivery was the easiest part of my entire pregnancy. It went so smoothly (largely due to my wonderful doctor and the amazing staff at PIH!) and for that I am extremely grateful!



3 comments:

  1. WOWZERS! Also, I agree that getting the IV in the arm hurts worse than getting the epidural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love birth stories and was more excited to hear yours than most because it is the first twins birth story I've heard since finding out we have two on the way. I'm delivering at St Marks, which also has twins delivered in the OR. I hadn't considered that they let you labor elsewhere. That was good info and gives me a few questions to ask my midwife at our next appointment. This will be our first delivery at St Marks (my other 2 were at the IMC on 53rd). It makes me a little more nervous because I'm not familiar with the facility, but I love my midwife-so I'm sure it will work out. C-section also scares me. I'm hoping for two head down babies. It was interesting to read that they delivered Caroline breech. I didn't realize that was an option and had always assumed that meant C-section. That was fabulous info to find out also. I'm glad everything worked out and the cord around her neck wasn't an issue (probably a good thing she came so fast because it may have become one). Thank you for posting this. Gives me much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful Tamaran! And I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to have two head down babies as well :) We live right down the road from St. Marks! Hope you like it there.

      Delete