PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

How My iPhone Changed My Life

Let me just begin by saying that I agree wholeheartedly with the "Look Up" campaign. So often our phones and other digital devices keep us from having real, quality interactions with those around us. That being said, let me tell you how my iPhone has changed my life.

In the beginning I was really resistant to the thought of getting a smart phone. I didn't like the idea (and still don't) of being so plugged in to everything. Having internet access with me everywhere I go. It's a great thing, but also a terrible thing. It took me a few years after the smartphone craze started, but I eventually gave in and I got my iPhone just over two years ago. It was great to be able to check my email anytime of the day, make posts on social media anytime and anywhere, and have a reasonably high quality digital camera with me everywhere I went (without having to carry a separate device). All those things were great. I liked my newfound connection to the world, but I didn't really start to love my phone until about a year ago.

That was when all of my family got some kind of an Apple device. And then we discovered iMessaging. Greatest thing ever! Since then, my family has been so much more connected. We have a long-running group conversation via iMessaging. Of course we still call one another frequently, see each other often, and talk in person. But the group convo is perfect for sending pictures, sharing funny stories, and asking questions so everyone can see it all at once. When the twins were born it was ideal to send out one message to everyone, and we could all share pictures without having to send each picture to every individual person.



And now we take it to a whole new level. Every once in a while, someone comes up with a plan to get us all involved in some sort of contest. We love competition, you know. Most recently, my brother-in-law challenged us all to a lipsync battle. So he sent out a group message first thing in the morning with the challenge to come up with a lip sync, record it, and send it out before midnight. Maybe one day if I get brave enough I will share mine and Forrest's lip sync to "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. Other competitions we've done include Chopped, Funniest Moments in Whiting Family History, and Music Video Challenges. It is so fun to have the whole family involved and connected, despite the fact that many of us live far apart.

I'm sure if we didn't all have an Apple device, we would find another way to stay connected. But this is what works for us, and it has really transformed my life and improved our family relationships. Hooray for iPhones! 

No comments:

Post a Comment